Five Top Tips on Getting Decorator’s Insurance (While Saving Money!)


As a rule, you probably don’t spend that much time thinking about your decorators’ insurance – let’s face it; its about as interesting as watching paint dry and you’ve got other things on your mind. It is important though and in this new blog the Decorators Forum approved insurance suppliers, Coversure Poole, share some of industry insider’s tips on getting the right cover at the right price.

We hope you will find this of use, but if you’d like some independent help or a specially discounted Decorators Forum insurance quote, then contact Coversure here or call us on (01202) 801 782 and we’ll be only too happy to help.


Five Tips for Decorators’ Insurance

1. Make sure your policy covers spray paint decorating (as ours do!) – while spray paint decorating has been around for quite a while now, many insurance policies won’t cover you if you use it. The problem is that lots of insurers are just too wary of the risks to property and people to offer cover. At Coversure we have insurers who will provide cover for an affordable premium which could save you a fortune should something go wrong

2. Talk to an independent expert – unlike standard covers such as car or home insurance, saving money and getting the protection on this type of policy takes more than a few clicks of a mouse on a price comparison website. As we’ve already mentioned, many policies won’t cover you for spraying and there are other aspects of the liability elements that need to be considered carefully. This is why it pays to talk to a specialist. If, like us, they’ve helped hundreds of decorators and decorating firms get the cover they need, then they’ll know what to recommend and will be able to save you time and money. At Coversure Poole, we also offer an exclusive discount to Decorators Forum members – just mention the Forum when you call (01202) 801 782 and ask for a quote and we’ll do the rest

3. Shop around (or better still get someone to do the shopping around for you!) – depending on whether you’re a sole trader or have people working for you, the type of work you do and who you do it for – if you work for a council, charity or in public spaces you’ll need public liability cover, for example – you’re likely to find yourself confronted by a wide range of quotes. This makes shopping around important, but if you’re one of those people who doesn’t find filling out endless online forms, phoning various companies and comparing detailed policy wordings a rewarding way of spending your time, then get a professional to do it for you. An independent broker – that is one that’s not tied to the policies of a single insurer – will be happy to do the shopping around for you. They may also – as we do – have access to policies that simply aren’t available to the general public

4. Make sure your employees are covered – if you have employees – be they full-time, part-time or even working on a contract basis – then you need to have employers’ liability insurance as part of your cover. While it’s been the law since 1968 we still talk to many business owners and professional tradespeople who aren’t aware of the fact that they need it – mainly because of the loose status of the people they employ – or that if you don’t have it in place that you can be fined up to £2,500 per day for not having appropriate levels of protection in place

5. Combine and save – as a decorator you’re going to need to insure a number of different risks. Yourself (in the form of public liability), your tools, your van, your stock of paints and solvents, your employees, any mobile equipment – be it yours or stuff you’ve hired in for a specific job – your premises if your firm is large enough or your home office if that’s where you’re based. This all mounts up to a lot of policies, a lot of renewal dates, a lot of shopping around when it comes to renewing and a world of hassle when it comes to making a claim as you need to deal with an array of insurers.

So, wouldn’t it be great if you could get one policy that took care of everything and which could save you money into the bargain? Well happily there is, it’s called commercial combined insurance. Commercial combined is a bit of a pick ‘n’ mix of a policy in that it allows you to choose the elements that are right for you and is ideal for professionals such as yourself who have complex insurance needs

Like Some More Help Saving on Your Cover?

If you’d like to some independent help or a specially discounted Decorators Forum insurance quote, then please contact Coversure here or call us on (01202) 801 782. We’ve already helped hundreds of Forum members get the cover they need for less and we’d be more than happy to help you too.

John Palmer Managing Director Coversure Poole

Dulux or Johnstone’s Paint, which is Better?

Professional decorator Mike Gregory considers which is the better paint brand to use, Dulux or Johnstone’s. Take this as an honest guide.

Best Place to buy Trade Paint – online and in store

Professional decorator Mike Gregory explains where he thinks is the Best Place to buy Trade Paint, including online suppliers and trade shops.

Dulux Academy Wall Mural Course Review

Steve Hunt askes professionals on the Decorators Forum for views on the Dulux Academy Wall Mural Course. He got some great feedback

Maximum Durability on Painted Handrails

Professional decorator Wesley Knight explains the process he took to achieve maximum durability on painted handrails. Good lad Wes

Problems With Osmo Oil Customer Service

As professional decorator Michael Price weighs up an exterior decorating job, he has a major problem with Osmo Oil’s customer service department

Five Top Tips on Getting Decorator’s Insurance