Select Page

What Insurance Does A Decorator Need?

Updated Mar 27, 2023 | Posted Apr 30, 2019 | Industry news, Products | 3 comments

Being a decorator can be a more hazardous job than people give credit for. From working at height to working within valuable homes, a small mishap could be incredibly costly to not only your reputation but also to your wallet. But it’s hard to know what insurance a decorator needs.

Our approved supplier Coversure Poole have put together the following blog to assist you with getting the correct protection to keep you, your employees and your belongings safe. Want a discounted decorator’s insurance quote? Then contact Coversure Poole on 01202 801 782 or email and quote DFUK for an exclusive discount. For more information click here, or check out our approved suppliers page.


What Insurance Should A Decorator Have?

Typically, decorators after insurance will be placed under a tradesmen insurance policy. But – and excuse the pun – we don’t want to tar you with the same brush when your risks can be completely different to other tradesmen. Ultimately your insurance policy needs to be tailored to meet your needs, something Coversure Poole can help with, though on average your insurance policy will include the likes of:


  • Public Liability – arguably the most important piece of insurance cover that decorators need, public liability should form the cornerstone of your policy. Protecting you against claims from members of the public, this will protect you if your work leads to your client or a public member becoming ill or being injured. It will even protect you if you damage your client’s property or possessions and they make a claim against you. These claims could be substantial, so protecting yourself against them provides great peace of mind for a small premium.
  • Employers’ Liability – does your decorating business have employees of any kind? Regardless of whether you have staff that are permanent, part-time or even contracted, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This protects you against claims from employees if your work or behaviour leads to them becoming ill or injured. If you need this cover it makes sense to try and get it as part of a wider insurance policy that could save you time and money. We’ll go into this more a little later on.
  • Tools Cover – from paintbrushes to ladders, drills to dehumidifiers, you’ll have plenty of tools as part of your work. With some of these being costly and some making doing your job possible, if these were to be damaged or stolen it could harm your wallet and your business. With tools cover you can rest easy knowing that if your tools are accidentally damaged or stolen, you can receive compensation to repair or replace them.
  • Personal Accident – as a decorator you’ll need to be fit and healthy to be able to do your job – especially if you’re self-employed given that if you take time off then you won’t have money coming in. This is where personal accident cover can help you. If an accident does happen and you’re left unable to work, this will protect your income whilst you recover.
  • Commercial Vehicle – do you have a van you use to get from job to job with your tools? Then you’ll want commercial vehicle insurance. This policy offers an added layer of protection to your vehicle’s cover including protecting your tools whilst they’re stored in your vehicle and even possibly protecting your passengers whilst you take them from job-to-job.


How Can You Save On Decorator’s Insurance?

As you saw from the list above, you’ll likely need multiple levels of cover to ensure you are protected on a day-to-day basis. But how can you save on your insurance premiums? Here are some insider’s tips for you…

  • Use our discount code – as members of the Decorators Forum UK you can gain access to our exclusive discount. Simply get in touch with Coversure Poole and quote ‘DFUK’ for a discount on your policy. It couldn’t be easier!
  • Get your policies together – if you can get all your policies at one time under an umbrella style cover like a tradesman’s policy, you could save time and money. Insurers will view you as a more attractive case and therefore usually offer lower prices for your cover. Also, you then only have to worry about one renewal date and can save-time from having to look for different policies throughout the year.
  • Assess Your Business Accurately – though this may not technically save you money upfront, it will do in the long-term. Ensure that when you’re speaking to your broker that you give accurate figures on your business. If you’re providing figures that are lower than the cover you need, your insurance may not be valid when you need it most. If you’re providing figures that are too high, you may simply be paying for cover that you don’t need and can reap the benefits of a smaller policy.

Like To Know More?


We hope the above has provided a good idea of what insurance you need as a decorator. We understand that one policy does not fit all and you may have additional requirements that we haven’t mentioned. If you want to talk to us about these or want a quote for your decorators’ insurance, then please get in touch with us today. You can email or call 01202 801 782 and ensure you quote ‘DFUK’ to gain your exclusive discount. Or, check out the Decorators Forum Approved Suppliers Directory for more info.


This blog has been very useful for a lot of tradesmen in deciding what insurance a decorator needs. We can vouch for Coversure Poole, as they have helped a lot of our following over the years. Not only do they provide very competitive rates, but their expert advice is invaluable.

Bog standard public liability insurance is straightforward enough, but when you throw in hight, heat, spraying, tools and income variables, it can get quite complicated. Speaking to someone on the phone who can point you in the right direction is a weight off anyone’s shoulders, and will make the whole process clearer.

The Decorators Forum UK

Updated Mar 27, 2023 | Posted Apr 30, 2019 | 3 comments

Related articles

London schools in line for £10k boost

London schools in line for £10k boost

London schools are being given the chance to win a makeover jackpot to help breathe fresh life into their facilities. Leading decorating and DIY specialist Leyland SDM has heralded the start of the new academic year by launching its new Big School Makeover campaign....


  1. Duncan Manns

    I need a quote for public liability insurance for …Painters & decorators … for 3 men duncan Manns …daniel manns …. robert Manns …..

  2. Ian Smyth

    I am a self employed Decorator. I work by myself. I just need a policy to cover me whist on the job, ie at the customers property, building. My work is primarily residential, with occasional commercial jobs.


      I am a self-employed painter. I work by myself and I need the policy to cover me whilst I am on a job.
      My work is residential.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Decorators Forum uk

We are a UK based online community of professional decorators, combined across several online platforms. This site is the hub of everything we do, as well as keeping decorators up to date with all the latest news, events and reviews from within the industry.

Keep me updated

If you’d like us to keep you up to date please sign up for our email alerts.

You will have the option to unsubscribe at any point in the future should you no longer wish to receive communications from us. For more information, please review our privacy policy by clicking here

Follow us

Amazon Associate

The Decorators Forum UK is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases that you make. Please note that there is no additional cost to you if you purchase from Amazon via one of our affiliate links.